Thursday, September 28, 2006

Low Batteries and "urges"


Atop London

The feature picture of this post is a shot I took from atop St. Pauls Cathedral.

Saturday the 23 of October I journeyed forth unto St. Pauls Cathedral. It was a spectical to see. So ornatally decorated with gold, oak, mosiacs, it was in one word, breathtaking.There was no photography allowed, so no that many pictures.

I first lit a candle for my father, which was pretty cool I must say. I said a prayer, took a moment and continued my stroll. There were ornate golden grates in the floor that let you see down into the Crypt of the church which was filled with more sightseers. I also walked through the American Soldier remebrance area of the church. During WWII part of the Cathedral was destroyed towards the back of it, when they rebuilt it, they made it a memorial for all the American Soldiers that were killed defending Britain soil. It has a book with all the names in it and a sword. It's quite nice. On the floor there is a sentance that I can't remember excatly but got the jist of thanking the Americans. It was nice.

After 30 minues on the ground floor looking over every minute detail, I decided to take the 500 some stairs up to the dome. From there you could look down into the congregaton area on the ground floor and see the sun shinning through the glass of the dome casting beautiful designs on the marble floor.

From there I went outside where you got a great view of Lonon. One picture I took on the dome are is facing the front of the Cathedral, which I saw later was the same picture a professional photographer had taken, I rock what can I say.

I'm a professional!

After about 20 minutes at the dome I decided to go to the very top of St. Paul's. So I did.

Once at the top I took the picture that is at the top of this post and afew of parliment from the top. The view was so great I just stayed there for close to an hour taking in the view from all the angles. Why? You should allready know the answer. Well, after taking two picture, my camera said "Low Battery" and freakin' shut off! I was not pleased...AT ALL.

It was disgusting though all the grafitti that was on the dome of St. Paul's. There was one though that was somewhat cool. It said "Alex, I Love You!". That one was ok, but the others, not so much.

Well it got REALLY crowded up there so went back down to the dome look out area. From there I heard the clock at St. Paul's chime 4. Then about 5 after 4 I got an "urge" if you will, and the "necessary room" was in the Crypt...a.k.a. the basement, and I was at the dome lookout. NO GOOD! Then I looked towards the exit and saw the sign say 500 some stairs till the ground floor.

I bolted! Ran "gently" down the stairs, looked towrads the map for the Crypt found the stairs, ran past two coffins, and a gate dedicated to Churchill and saw a sign with an arrow pointing to a dooe that said "toilets" I ran inside, and saw...WOMEN! Iwas in the wrong restroom. I stood there like a deer cought in headlights "holding in" and the women were likewise. So I retreated like a dog with it's tail between his legs, found the right Loo and did what needed to be done.

Yup, only me.

Since the camera wouldn't turn on, and the tramatic experience of "the incident" I left to go back home.

The next day (Sunday, after recharging my camera) I went to try and take the tour of Parliment and Buckingham Palace. But since it was Sunday, it was closed. Buloxe! I took out my map and thought I would just stroll through Hyde Park, but on my way I found the Secret Churchill War Rooms. So Heck! I went in!

It was amazing that they spent 6 years of there life donw there planning and co-ordinating the war, while they could still hear the bombs dropping above them.

It was almost too much for words.

Halfway through the tour of the war rooms there was a sidetrack into the Winston Churchill museum. It was very impressive. Splitting the museum in a diagnal was a table with a computer interactive table top. It started with the year 1847 when Churchill was born and ended with the year that he died. You would touch which year you wanted to look at, and it would list which month had any details in it. It had everything, including dates he wrote letters with a copy of it to read and pictures, which you could view. For any major event in history during his life time like WWI or WWII or the sinking of the Titanic the whole tabletop would whiteout and the whole table would view that event i.e. I hit 1912, April, Sinking of the Titanic. The whole table whited out and scrolled the headlines and had commentary from eyewitnesses . It was awesome.

The Table where Churchill and his advisors Made the decisions of the war.
Churchill never overuled his advisors decisions.
Chief's of Staff Conference Room

Charicature of Hitler one of the Chief's of Staff drew on a map.
Transatlantic Telephone that was secret to even the people working in the War Rooms.
When the war ended, these men got up , turned off the lights and went home after 6 years.
This room was found the same way it was left.
One of two Churchill bedrooms in the war rooms. This one was used for midday 1 hour naps and where he made his speeches to the British people via radio.
A picture of Churchill on his 90th B-day(a few months before his death) with the pasts Churchills cheering him on!
Churchill being born in the mid to late 18oo's was born into a time of infantry, two world wars no electricity, and died in a age of nuclear weapons. What a lifetime to live.

Couldn't have done it without them. Thanks Baba

After the War Rooms I went to Hyde park for the remaining daylight hours and saw non other then my people..Squirrels!

Squirrel!
I'm so jealous of this man! He would feed squirrels...FROM HIS HAND! Maybe he will divuldge his secret to me and I shall take his place.

SQUIRREL MAN!
Look! The Daw family is infamous! We are al lover the streets of London!

As Spak would say...DAW!
Sweeny, Sweeny Todd, the Demon barber of Fleet Street!

Didn't see him though.
Didn't see the Muffin Man :(
Need I say more?!
Ya'll come back now, Ya Hear?


4 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 12:01 AM, Blogger Zane W Buxton said...

your pictures make me so happy

 
At 9/29/2006 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts are pretty much the highlight of my day. When I saw the picture of the squirrel, I wanted to go out and chase one, then thought of your encouther with squireel in the park which always makes me laugh! Then Bung Hole! Fabulous!! I await each new post with great anticipation! And as I always say....
Miss you tons!
Amy

 
At 9/30/2006 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bung hole takes the cake.


hahaha
-carrie v

 
At 10/04/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Jennifah said...

I was excited about the squirrel because I have a squirrel on my blog, then I saw Drury Lane and I got really excited...

Then I saw BUNG HOLE and I died!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home