Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Color or Colour?

My Favorite Tower of London Picture. I wish their wasn't city behind it.

For the sake of viewing purposes, please read in your underwear.


Not really you perv!

The London Gang
Reading from left: Val, Matt, Irene, Nikki, Jimmy in the back, Bill, and Mike.


Well where doest I begin? How about last Monday? How about me not asking questions to myself for you to read. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Well, the Internship isn't quite what I was wanting, or expecting. The internship or "work experience" as they call it here is based on production management. So, though it's not a "news" atmosphere it is still in the media. So I will still hopefully get valuabe experience that I can put on my resume. Though, so far I've been putting information in excel, and reorganizing the video archives. I'm praying I can go on a shoot, sooner rather than later. I guess it's all of what I make of it. I just need to warm up abit, I guess.

I met one woman that works their that was making fun of my American accent, which I just loved. She was teaching me how to pronounce some words. ROCK-IT!

Classes are interesting: "Gender and Identity", and "Phtotojournalism". They are classes, so nothing really to say about them yet besides already having papers and large projects due within two weeks.

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, now comes PICTURES! Woo-hoo!

I started Thursday or Friday with a trip to the 500 year old pub. It was awesome, all the buildings were literally built around that pub. Which is just amazing. Established in 1546 it's 230 years older then our country! Just to imagine that there were people sitting there talking about "Those damn New Englanders" trying to break from the crown. The whole pub is steeped in history it's just like walking back in time. No pictures yet, but that will soon change.

Starting Saturday they had the Thames festival. Which is really a great idea. The Mayor of London opens buildings that aren't normally open to the public and people from all around come to walk the Thames and walk into houses and government buildings and old homes. It's quite a site.

So Saturday began around 14:30 (they use military time here, which I didn't know), once everyone woke up and got ready and walked over to the Flat. We went to Brick Lane which has 300 years old homes that people actually still live in and can't do anything to the building unless it is approved by the gov't and maintains the "feel" of the building. It was pretty interesting, no picture though, too crowded and I was getting the "closties" as my family would say.

From there we walked past a painting of Jack the Ripper in a ally way that catches you off guard and gives you a bit of a shock as you walk down the road. We also walked past a pub that is still in existence that Jack the Ripper took his pray to for a pint before he would kill them. Freaky.

Cheers! To your soon to be gruesome murder!
Next up: Sunday!

I woke up early so I could have a head start on attractions to see. I walked down the road, made a left and right in front of me was none other then St. Pauls Cathedral. It is quite large, I'm not sure how I've missed it over the past two weeks. Though since it was Sunday the touristy section of the cathedral was closed for the day, so I walked in, looked around and walked out so I can see it at another time. As I was walking out a photo shoot was in progress so I took afew shots myself.
Thats right darling! Yeah, baby! Yeah!
Just a stroll at St. Pauls

From here I started across the Thames when I saw a statue commemorating the Firefighters of the Blitz. Thought it was quite impressive and reminded me of those Firefighters on 9/11.

This way!
St. Pauls from Millenium Bridge

Tried to make it to Shakespeare Globe theatre, found out it was closed for a perfomance. I am determined to find the brick with my sister and brother-in-law's name on it. Though looking through the gate, I'm praying they have some sort system to find their name's or I'll be there a week looking for that brick!

Then I was off to TOWER BRIDGE!
It was pretty cool. I walked across the bridge then on the way back I got to walk across the top walkway! The view was pretty cool I got to take yet more pictures of the Tower of London. It was cool. There were scale models of other bridge designs that were, lets say..Interesting.
Up, Up and away!

Imagine these in place of Tower Bridge

They went with the right choice.

Got to see the old engine room of Tower Bridge.

Wow, those engine workers had it good in the early 1900's! They had 21st century pop machines!
They had it pretty good down there!
On my way back from Tower Bridge I passed Pizza Express, a restaurant whose name is false advertisement, Because they don't have good pizza, and it's definitely not express.

False Advertisement!
I also entered "The Clink" the first prison in London along the river Thames and saw a chastity belt...that's right I came to England and saw a chastity Belt. That's what I'll tell people when I get back home. I also learned that the original London Bridge had 19 arches that supported it and was the only bridge to cross the Thames for a few hundred years and actually had houses on it. Pretty cool.
Can you imagine living on that as the only bridge at the time?

I also saw a replica of a ship who's owner I can't remember at the moment that circumnavigated the world and a old harbour that 150 years earlier housed Tea Clippers. Just imagining it is pretty cool to think about.

The old Tea Clipper Harbour.
Random! I saw this on my way home. An old Church, just in the middle of London! I love this City. An Old Church!
Blessed be! Ruins!
And a lighted sidewalk! Oh! Shiny!

Just give me some spandex, and we'll have some 80's fun!

More A.D.D. photo's:

There was a horse balloon floating over London, so I decided to take a pic! Here ya go!

Giddy-up!

I saw then The Templar Knights chapel, (which was closed) but they are rumored to be the guardians of the Holy Grail (which reminds me of Monty Python, thanks to the Siblings Daw, which rock!) and since it was closed, I took a picture of the statue in front of the chapel.

Protect the Grail!

After that we went home for a bit and came back for the Fireworks on the Thames. Which I only got 1 good picture of, but they were better than even Disney's fireworks, they pretty much rocked my world. Even though I'm not a fireworks person.

oooooooh, ahhhhhhhh!

The highlight though would have to be none other then A WIZARD!


I was officially dubbed Sir Alex of Daw when a wizard on the Thames Knighted me.

So, I've decided while I'm here to adopt their spelling(because that's what I do). Such as instead of "color" its "colour" The same goes with favourit, harbour, you's a whour...not really that list one, just thought I'd throw that in. Programme..Craziness.

that's pretty much it. Their are people talking around me and too me so my A.D.D. is going crazy as you've all witnessed at one point or another.

Keep in touch! I can't tell you how much it helps. Hopefully I'll be able to walk through Buckingham and parliament at some point over the next week and finalize my trips through the semester.

Buh-Bye

I soon shall storm a Castle.









4 Comments:

At 9/21/2006 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! You got knighted by a wizard, that is so awesome! It's gotta be a dream come true for you. Congratulations! Good luck with your internship... they can't keep you out of the shoots forever.

 
At 9/24/2006 3:12 AM, Blogger Jennifah said...

When I was in Australia I definitely adopted the spelling and I still use it when I talk to my friends on MSN. Do they spell finalize as finalise like the Aussies do?

Any British people reading this probably hate that I'm comparing them to Aussies...but in my defense - Australia was pretty much built by British people...and Aborigines, but no one gives them credit!

 
At 9/28/2006 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex,
First of all I am very jealous and pretty much really mad at you for being able to be there when I can't. Second, I SO thought of Monty Python as soon as I read that and now really want to watch that movie. Wanna hear how big of a nerd I am? Good. The wizard made me think of Gandalf. He's probably his cousin or something.
MISS YOU TONS!
Amy

 
At 10/02/2006 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! Its been awhile since I have checked this out!
Pretty amazing pictures. I love the Knight protecting the Holy Grail. Did he happen to have the Holy hand grenade of Antioch? (sp?)

Anyways! Sounds like you are enjoying your time and school is ...well school.
Carpe diem!
Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home