Monday, September 11, 2006

The Little Things

The White Tower!
Cheerio!

Sorry for waiting 2 weeks, but if your read the previous post, you'll get the picture.

So, ready for two weeks worth of updates? I'll try and condense it all...ok? ready?! Annnnd GO!

Beginning the Monday before last I FINALLY got to go to the river Thames and check out Buckingham Palace, Wesminster, parliament, and the Tower of London! HOLY AWESOME!

Just walking through Greene Park and seeing as you turn the bend Buckingham Palace with the Victoria Monument in the center of the roundabout was spectacular. To know that the Queen was either just waking up with bedhead to go brush her teeth and scratch her behind, or sitting down with a cup of Earl Grey (Like Captain Picard) in jeans and a "I'm with Stupid" T-shirt on. was pretty cool. To think she could have peeped through her curtains and seen me her new love (sorry Em) is pretty cool. Though I think she was in Windsor..eh.

The Ham of Bucking!

Around the roudabout were pillars, which said names of countries which I can only assume were at one point or are ruled by the Queen. I saw one for Malastates (whatever that is), Canada, and Australia. Which I took a picture of, since it was the day our beloved Steve Irwin died. CRIKEY!

In Honor of you "Sir Steve of Irwin"

I did get to see the crazy men in furry hats, but no changing of the guard. They only change at the beginning of the day and I wasn't up at that time. Though the guards did march in a line to stretch their legs. Which I had no idea they were allowed to! And I saw the British flag waft in the breeze above the Palace, it was pretty nifty.

You Go Queeny!

From Buckingham we (Nikki, Bhav and myself) walked down Birdcage Road to find parliament. It didn't take too long! Right as the trees overhead parted Nikkei and Bhav both looked at me awkward as I did the "excited, I can't believe I'm actually seeing Big Ben with my own two eyes, crouch slowly with a silent giggle and wide smile looking as though I have to pee" type expression! (those who have seen me react to anything Lord Of The Rings, has seen this moment). I just couldn't believe I was seeing it in person, not in a James Bond flick, or V for Vendetta, but in real life. BIG BEN!

My first View of Ben


My favorite Big Ben Pic

From parliament we went to see Wesminster abbey, but due to the price to go in, I'll save it for another day. Also, across from parliament is a statue of Abe Lincoln. Not sure why, besides the obvious. But weird to see an American President statute infront of parliament. I kind of felt honored as an American.

The Abbey
Good 'ol Abe
We then "froggered" across the street to a ice cream man, so Nikki and Bhav could put an end to their craving, and I decided just to sit back and take in the view from the Thames of parliament. While I was in "aww" a man was selling bird whistles next to me and interrupted my tranquil moment. So for this rude interruption and annoyance I thought I would share it with a picture of the "Crazy Birdman"

Nikki and Bhav ending their craving for Ice Cream.
"Crazy Birdman"
Parliament from across the Thames
We moved on to The Tower of London and Tower Bridge via Underground, and happened across London Bridge!

It's Falling Down!

The Tower of London was beautiful to behold, just imagining 500 - 900 years of British History taking place here, And it's where the governor lives! Also imagining our American forefathers setting foot here to speak to the King and in the halls of parliament is so cool to think of. To walk through a place where battles were waged, Kings and Queens lived, villains tortured, and conspiracies plotted, is a bit overwhelming to comprehend all at once. There was so much their, it's impossible to talk about it and bore you all. So, we all know about the curse, that if the ravens were to leave The Tower of London, the British government would collapse, so here is one of the six crows who's wings were clipped to feed to superstition, which I wouldn't blame them!

Caw! Caw!
Within the courtyard you can see the tip of Tower Bridge which we think is London Bridge over some homes and trees.



Apparently the first walls build around the Tower of London , were build on pre-existing Roman walls, which are outline here, Those Romans always had to be the first didn't they!



One of my favorite words to use in any phrase is non other than "Poop". So to honor that here is a medieval Pooper, where Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, and Knights all shared a "Throne".


From that eventful Monday, much has ensued, which I shall sum up briefly,

Classes: introductory still, but looking promising.

Partying: Yes I have gone out to a few clubs, and have had safe fun. One night, letting the other students see a little more of the real Alex, by dancing. Thanks to moves learned from my brothers, sister and parents, I have been told that they have never seen moves like that before. And yes some were a little shall we say, sporadic! (which reminds me of a Junior Prom picture).

British Museum: Wonderful! I can see myself spending a lot of time there over the next few months. There wasn't enough time to see everything in the 5 hours I was there! One highlight was the Rosetta Stone, which I was so giddy about seeing. (A Dream come true ever since I learned about it in elementary school..I'm such a nerd. I know).If you don't know about it, you should. It's a cool piece of the past, at least for me. I suggest looking it up on Google. It's a quick history lesson. Also saw a real sarcophagus. SWEET!

Internship: I GOT ONE! It was with Media Trust (www.mediatrust.org) I'll be working behind the scenes and whatnot, more to come later. no BBC :( they didn't have any openings this semester. But looking into a week long internship next summer with the BBC.

Finally, if you can hold out just a bit more...

It's not the driving on the other side of the road, or the accents, or that everyone knows your American without even hearing your voice, that lets me know I'm in another country, it's the small things.

You would think that the paper size would be standard worldwide, or you wouldn't even think about normal paper size elsewhere, but it is a different size! Here, it is 210 X 297 mm, while back home it's 8 1/2 by 11. It's so cool! For those of you not willing to measure it out yourselves, their paper here is slightly taller, and thinner then ours. (Ours is wider and shorter then there's..kind of like our own Americans. BAD ALEX!, just couldn't pass it up).

There are coins galore! My goodness, they have coins for 1p, 2p. 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1 pound, and 2pounds, all in regular circulation, everyday. By pockets be heavy!

Mercedes over hear, makes trucks, busses, mini economical cars as small as a door width, and they're cheap! There like our Ford back home. Everything here is Mercedes. So why are there cars back home so expensive! Holy Moly!

Everyone hits the Pubs at 6 right after work, literally EVERY pub is busting at the seams, that people stand and sit outside the pub to have a their favorite lager.

And their Censorship..Whew! Not much at all, is all I have to say to that.

These aren't complaints, but observations and little newoncesn that show I'm not in the U.S.

Quick note: my tutor(teacher) told me that people from the U.S. when they come over here identify themselves by state, i.e. Hello I'm from Ohio, in the States. But by the end of their stay, they identify themselves by country, i.e. Hello, I'm from the States.

Thought that was interesting.

Well sorry for the length, and if I keep this up weekly, it won't be so long. Hope all is fine back home, and thanks for the posts on this page and e-mails, and facebook. I enjoy everyone.







9/11...I remember.

Alex

7 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, it's rather early in the morning right now, and depsite my unalertness, I saw the toilet picture and cracked up laughing without even having to read the comment.
Good Luck,
Bart

 
At 9/12/2006 10:42 AM, Blogger Zane W Buxton said...

Dude - I miss you like a fat kid misses cake! The NCMO has been sparse, and the questions of the day nonexistent - what a world, what a world.

 
At 9/12/2006 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome update man! Congrats on the internship. Can't wait for all the stories when you do get back.

 
At 9/13/2006 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex,
First off, I'm not positive but I think Captain Picard is actually Pichard. Sorry for my nerdiness.
Second, I so pictured your "I can't believe I'm actually seeing..." stance and I thought of two things...
How you look when we talk about Lord of the Rings or almost every moment we spend together...and...


the look on your face when I fell off the golf cart!!!! HAHA!!!

I miss you so much. I am glad you are having fun but you had better be missing me too! Come visit me as soon as u get back!
LUV!

 
At 9/14/2006 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALEX!!! oh man. this is great, i shall keep up to date on this. i miss you silly head. i LOVE the pictures. hope you're having a blast!

[oh. it's carrie. the infamous cdogg. :) ]

 
At 9/16/2006 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"with a cup of Earl Grey (Like Captain Picard)"

lol alex i nearly DIED when i read this. love it.

bhav

 
At 9/16/2006 4:47 PM, Blogger Jennifah said...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Justjoshin333/sadstingray.jpg

I'm so sad about Steveo...Amber and I keep watching episodes of the Crocodile Hunter :-(

Oh yeah - by the way...I didn't know you were going to Eng-a-land!! I was wondering where you were...now it'll be a year before I see you again. Oh well - London was my 2nd choice for studying abroad. Now I can go through your blogs. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home