Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The dream becomes a reality.

Where doest I begin...oh, at the beginning.

From Cleveland Hopkins I flew back in time two hours to the windy city, Chicago. My flight was delayed about an hour due to Heathrow's landing curfew(no plains land before 6 a.m.) so instead of flying around London for 45 minutes, I slept in O'Hare airport for 45 minutes. And if you know me at all, i will choose sleeping over anything...even eating! I know "gasp"!
Continuing with my flight, it really didn't hit me that I was leaving for England until I was served the first snack on the plane and all the flight attendants started speaking in their accents...I was giddy as a school girl listening to N'SYNC!
The flight itself only lasted 6 hours and 30 minutes, and I was lucky enough to sit right in the center of the plane with a wall in front of me..so no window seat...but I had more leg room, which came in handy taking catnaps on the plane. The plane also had this awesome screen that showed you where the plane was located in the world....so while no one was looking I snuck pictures of the screen....

This is me leaving the North American Continent...for the first time!

(I know the photo is a little fuzzy, but deal!)


And during that time, from Newfoundland to England I slept and had breakfast, and didn't see the Atlantic at all cause it was to dark outside. But I digress.

This is me entering Ireland with 30 minutes left till London.


Once I landed I sweated it abit going through immigration..but it was a snap. Then I sweated it more once I got my luggage and exchange my 200 U.S. dollars for 96 pounds. That's right for every pound it's 2 of our dollars. Holy Expensive!
It hit me that I was in London for good once I took the Underground(subway) and everyone had an accent..it was pretty sweet. It took about an hour on the Underground to get to Chancery Lane Tube station(Which their public transportation here even the busses are very clean). It was quite a site to see urban England.
Once I walked off the Underground, I thought London had evacuated for my arrival, like the very foundations felt it's impending doom as the Alex grew nearer. But, it was a Bank Holiday and NO ONE was on the streets, which was nice since I had two very large and buldging suitcases.
Once I arrived at the flat complex a sign read "Huron Students, please ring for Flat 5". So I did just as it said, and to my dismay, no one answered. So there I was, alone, in London, with two very large suitcases, and no means to call the University. So I sat on the stoop hoping that another student would be arriving and the RA would be with them. 30 minutes passed as the few passer-bys just stared awkwardly at the very obvious American. Then two old men exited the building across the street walked over to my building and let me in, even though they didn't know me. So I just got comfortable in the lobby, whipped out my laptop and pirated off someone's bandwidth. 15 minutes passed and a RA with a student walked in and showed me to our flat.
I have to say that the flat is a bit smaller then the pictures they sent us(surprise) but it's pretty sweet. My flat is located on the 4 floor and is Flat 7, but it has two glass doors that open onto the street, and is still pretty roomy.


My living area:


My room:


My bed is on the left.

Currently, two of my four roommates have moved in. Both seam pretty cool and down to earth, one is Jimmy from Illinois, and another from New York whose name is Mike. The other two roommates move in tomorrow and we're just hoping they will get along with us as well as we get along with one another.
So today which is August 29, we just walked to campus which is a 10-15 minute walk from the flat, and met our RA which seams to be pretty lax and down to earth, he apparently went to school at Muskingum College in Ohio. Besides that, not much to say besides their milk is thicker over here, and it takes longer to cool, oh, Also, their eggs are just in a regular isle and not in the cooler. Hope everyone is doing fine and dandy. Remember I still got e-mail and AIM. So I'll speak unto you later and update my post at a later date.

Rock it!

11 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex that is awesome. Glad to hear that you made it over there safe. Im having an awesome time here at Miami. Oh and i dont know if i would trust those eggs in a regular isle, but its up to you. All right man have fun sipping tea and playing polo.

Bryan

 
At 8/29/2006 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, i'm so pumped for you!!!!! it all sounds like such an adventure!!!! talk to you later homes!

peace from the ak

scottie

 
At 8/29/2006 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're all settled in.

 
At 8/29/2006 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigod! That sounds so awesome. I hope you and your roommate have a great time. :-D Have a great time, hon!

 
At 8/30/2006 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex it's your aunt lizzie here.
I am sooooooooooooo proud of you.
I thank the Lord that you arrived
safetly. Alex you have a way with
words..dah I guess that is why you
are going to be a journalist...
I love you Alex

 
At 8/30/2006 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alex..,it's Ashley from Waters (well not anymore because we both moved on to way cooler things!) I am super happy for you and I hope you have a great time! I can't wait to read about your fun updates. Enjoy every second of it!!

 
At 8/30/2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now that you FINALLY posted that you got there safety, I have a story!

So I was getting home from work as I checked my voicemail. Right as your message from Chicago came up I was also checking the news. Right in big bold letters on the front was PLANE CRASHES IN KENTUCKY; 49 DEAD. I had a sit down with God and made sure he knew I was not amused by the coincidence. >:(

So anyway, do you have a mailing address?

 
At 8/30/2006 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man sounds like a great time. I am so happy for you. I look forward to reading the blog every day. You really have a way with words.

 
At 8/30/2006 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea I guess I didn't say, it's me man. Your favorite server on earth.

Be good and have a bunch of laughs like we have had so many of.

Love ya

Jan

 
At 9/03/2006 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex. . .I am so jealous of you!This is Angela Seigman by the way! I see all the Waters people representin'!!!!
Have a great time over there and let me know if you see Sir Elton John or Prince William. . .I am a sucker for famous people with British accents! :) Talk to you later!

 
At 9/04/2006 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwo Alex, I could so picture you telling everyone this when i read it. lol you make me smile. looks awesome i wish you the best =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home